Tuesday, November 20, 2012

You Want Whoop Crame?

So the response always comes, my sister jokes, when she orders a coffee from the Dunkin' drive-thru. "You want whoop crame?.. Drive up."

She always declines on the whipped cream offer, but I have a stronger affinity for the cloud-like sweet stuff. Especially home whipped, with a little bit of vanilla extract added into the Kitchen Aid. 

But! I'm learning there are more flavors to experiment with, both sweet and salty.


So far my favorite has been the ginger whipped cream, with candied ginger chopped into tiny pieces and mixed in along with the residual sugar. Dollop that puppy on some warm apple pie and it brings on a new flavor dimension. I might add some on the pumpkin bars I made for Thanksgiving, with an awesome buttery hazelnut shortbread base. Check out the recipe here, but be sure to double the ingredients for the shortbread portion of the recipe only. The dough won't stretch enough for a normal 9x13 pan (believe me, I've tried). 


Last night I tried my first savory whipped cream. About a half a cup of heavy cream, two springs of chopped dill, and a generous dash of sea salt. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so to merge the flavors, then dollop generously on hot soup. I tried it with a cheesy roasted potato and cauliflower soup -- recipe for both the soup and accompanying whipped cream can be found here.

No comments: